Here on holiday?
This corner of Norfolk is largely unknown and unsung. Nelson knew it -he was at school in North Walsham with his brother, and was taken outand about by his tutor. You too can be explorers of our hiddentreasures!
Holidays here are nicely old fashioned, with friendly faces, excellent service, local food, and a range of quality accommodation- just what holidays used to be! When you’ve been once, you’ll be back for more.
Time to Explore
An irresistable Cat Pottery
The best collection of motorcycles in England – a fascinating social history
The golden fleece weavers museum at Meeting Hill
The medieval weaving villages
The Georgian town of North Walsham with its thriving Thursday market
Wonderful walksin a varied and undulating landscape of woods and meadows
Wild flowers and birds
The upper reaches of the Norfolk Broads
Sandy beaches (and lifeguards and European Blue Flag quality)
Beach, river and lake fishing
Golf and crazy golf
Cycling the “quiet lanes
Playbarns in North Walsham and Knapton for young children
A rich built heritage and a cultural one too
No stone here – this is flint and brick country!
Visit our magnificent churches from round towered Saxon churches to the wealthy wool churches of the medieval weavers
There is music in country churches throughout the year
artists studios to visit
country pubs to enjoy
gigs inthe park and all the fun of the carnival in early July in North Walsham
and the most stunning modern RHS garden at East Ruston Vicarage
and there are also glades of snowdrops in winter, wild daffs dancing round Edingthorpe church, bluebell carpets in May, bird song in June, honeysuckle and barley ripening in July (and Worstead Festival – a 3 day country festival in this lovely small village), many quiet corners far from crowds in August, fungi in the forest in September, autumn berries in the October hedgerows, wide winter skies and crisp dry sunshine late in the year, and of course Christmas shopping in our specialist shops away from the rush of big cities.
What are you waiting for?!
- The prize winning tourist infomation centre at Mundesley is manned by local volunteers who are very knowledgeable and helpful. Open May to September in the log cabin in the village centre. Tel: 01263 721070
- Local accommodation guide for North Walsham and the villages around is available from The Area Partnership on 01692 407509
- Link to the accommodation section on the Town Council web site : www.northwalsham-town.co.uk
- Ask-A-Local scheme in North Walsham and around. Look for the smiling logo in shop windows in North Walsham and the villages around. These shops carry tourist information and would be delighted to help you with their local knowledge.
- Cromer Tourist Information Centre is open throughout the year. tel 01263 512497